Wednesday, October 6, 2010

{fashion to figure}






I get frustrated when I'm shopping. It is much, much easier than it used to be. Once upon a time I wore a size 20. Or I could sometimes get away with an 18....if it was an 18W. I couldn't shop at my favorite stores anymore. I weighed over 200 pounds. The thought makes me cringe. I had Nicholas, lost the weight quickly, and got pregnant again. At the same time we found out I was pregnant with Ben, we found out my dad had pancreatic cancer and had a very short amount of time to live. In fact, it was the same weekend. We had joyous news and devastating news at the same time. Food made me feel better during a time of intense sorrow.

Dad died before Ben was born. I ate to feel better. After Ben was born, I lost most of that baby weight quickly, only to fall down 13 steps and have a serious fracture that but me in a wheelchair for weeks. I was immobile for a good 3 months. I turned to food again and the baby weight--and a few extra pounds for good measure--piled back on.

At some point when Nick was nearing the end of preschool, I had just had enough. I returned to an exercise routine and good eating plan. It's been slowly but surely with some plateaus along the way, but I have lost over 50 pounds and kept them off. I'd like to lose some more, but I love to cook and love to bake, so I'll need to step up my exercise routine even more to knock off the last few pounds.

I am not a tiny girl. Never have been (except for getting down to a very unhealthy for me size 4 in 1997, but that is another story for another day), never will be. I am a size 12. Sometimes a 14....it all depends on the brand of clothing and the cut. Sometimes, though, I still get really frustrated. I might find a pair of jeans that is perfect in the hips and rear, only to have a few spare inches at the waist. Or a shirt might fit well--with the exception of that gap at the button because it's ill-fitting in the bust.

What's a girl to do but get frustrated at the thought of having to get so many things tailored?

No frustration for me anymore. I recently was introduced to a line of clothing called Fashion to Figure. It is clothing for women sizes 12 to 26. The line was founded by the great grandsons of Lena Bryant, founder of Lane Bryant. I no longer shop in plus size stores because of the hard work I have put into losing weight, but when you are a size 12 or a 14, it can still be frustrating to find tops and jeans that fit hug our curves just right.

I think many of you can relate. The average American woman is a size 14, in fact. When you're at this point, though, where many "plus size" shops feature clothing that is cut too big and many "misses" clothes don't allow ample room in the bust and hips, Fashion to Figure comes to the rescue.

I was sent the Leopard Dolman Shrug to try. First of all, it is made in the USA! How many clothes these days are made in America? Secondly, it is such exquisitely soft. It hangs well. The gray and black is timeless, while giving you a hip and modern look. The fit is perfect. I would normally choose a black tank to go underneath, but it is super cold and damp today, so I am wearing a fitted black crewneck sweater under this with dark trouser jeans. It is really, nice. Did I mention the price? It retails for $22.




There is a great selection from which to choose at Fashion to Figure. They have a great selection of  plus size jeans, too. I normally get a misses trouser jean that fits very well, but I have my eye on Fragile Virtual Stretch Boot Cut Jeans ($38). These would be great with some leather boots and fall sweaters.




Fashion to Figure also carries some great dresses. We're going to a party in a couple weeks and I already have a dress in my shopping bag. It's purple and I think it'd be lovely with black tights and boots. This one is also made in the USA:







Plus I found a top for date night with my husband. It will go with a zebra clutch that I have, some fun bangles, and jeans:



(made in the USA)


I am really excited about trying more from this line of clothing. I like that the majority of the items they sell are made right here in the United States. Not all of them are, but most are. This is rare. I also like that this company can fill in that void in my wardrobe where I get frustrated. Before you order, take a look at the size chart to determine your size. For example, if you are a size 12 on the size chart at one store in the mall I shop in often, the measurements are 39", 31", 41".  At FTF, a 1X or 14/16 will fit the measurements of 36-38", 31-34", 38-41". I advise you to size up.

The clothes at Fashion to Figure are really nice in terms of affordability and quality. I can recommend them wholeheartedly. Another plus--returns are hassle free and are free. You don't have to pay to ship an item back if it's not right for you.

Check out Fashion to Figure. Curvy ones like me will be happy they did!


*Disclosure: I was sent one item of clothing for possible review. This in no way influenced the outcome of the review. As always, all opinions--good or bad--are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your comments with us! How are YOU embracing your curves?