Monday, October 25, 2010

Thoughts on Advertising

I'd like to know what you think about using plus sized models to advertise clothing.
It boggles my mind when I see thin women in ads for "plus size" apparel. 

At Chico's, a store I really do adore, they're promoting their new "extended" sizes. Why then, do all of their models have this figure?

from chicos.com


If you're a 12, 14, 16, 18, etc., can you envision this same dress on your curvy body? I would love, love, love to see more women like me in the pictures so I can say, "Wow, that looks great on those with curvy hips!" or "I should pass on this one for my body type."

I also told you the other day about White House Black Market adding a size 16 to their offerings. If you're ordering online and need a larger than stick straight size, can you look at this picture of jeggings and picture how they'd look on you?

from White House Black Market


Not all companies are guilty of this. Torrid, Faith 21, Lane Bryant, Avenue, etc. do show a wider range of body types. I just wish that those companies who boast that they're embracing women of all shapes and sizes would show models who represent that. I am talking to you, Chico's and White House Black Market. I am talking to you, all of the other brands out there who think that they're embracing curvy girls by marketing to a size 12 and end up using a size 0 model without any curves....


If this is my behind:



then this marketed to me isn't quite right: 


The companies have it all wrong.


I've read recently that there was a study saying that ads using curvy models do not work because they cause low self esteem. Personally, I think that's B.S. because if I am shopping for clothes, I want to see all kinds of models used in the ads. If I'm looking for a skinny jean at a size 12, I don't want to wonder how I will look in them compared to the model who's 5'11 and a size 2. 

If you're tiny--think a petite 4, wouldn't you want to see clothes pictured on someone like you so you can tell how they might look and fit? You cannot relate to a 5'10 woman who is a 14 and needs a tall length. It's no different for us curvy girls.

Women with curves are beautiful, too. I am healthy. I eat several servings of fruits and veggies a day and don't eat processed foods. I am curvy. I also like to shop....I want stores to "get it" -- the average American woman is a size 14 (one recent article even said a 16). It's time for stores to get with the program and start showing models with different body types.

So I ask you this today, are you frustrated when you're ordering if you cannot identify with the model's figure? Does it frustrate you when ordering? Would you like to see more women with curves in the marketing campaigns?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your comments with us! How are YOU embracing your curves?